- Azuela, Mariano. The Underdogs. New York: Penguin Classics, 2008. ISBN 9780143105275
- Guevara, Ernesto “Che.” The Motorcycle Diaries. New York: Ocean Press, 2003. ISBN 9781876175702
- Chasteen, John Charles. Born in Blood & Fire. New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 2016. 4th edition, ISBN 9780393283051
- Wood, James and Anna Rose Alexander. Problems in Modern Latin American History: Sources and Interpretations. Lantham, MD: Roman & Littlefield, 2019. 5th edition. ISBN 9781538109069
Accessing Course Materials:
There are several ways to access the required texts for this course:
- The required books are available for purchase at the College of Wooster bookstore or online.
- A copy of each required book is available on 2-hour/overnight reserve at the Andrews Library.
- Some course materials, including podcasts, audio slideshows, and digitized primary sources will be viewed by clicking the highlighted link in the syllabus. Read this guide for an explanation of how to connect to JStor and other restricted databases off campus.
- Articles and short book excerpts marked “arp” or “additional readings page” are available on a password-protected page in this website. Please print them out and bring them to class. Please remember to print double sided wherever possible.
Library Resources for Latin American History & Culture
The complete schedule of class topics and readings is posted here.
Key to syllabus reading abbreviations:
|Chasteen||Born in Blood & Fire
|Wood & Alexander||Problems in Modern Latin American History